May 17, 2011

Beginning another quilt

I've been slow to post anything new this past week. I have a cold. Don't I hate when something like that happens. I'm still coughing. So, right before that hit me, I had made a start on a quilt for a young man--I think you can read his name here. This fabric is one of my favorite type of blue fabric--stuff that's cotton, but printed to look like denim. The pattern I decided on is a liberated churn dash or monkey wrench. It also has the titles Hole in the Barn Door, Double Monkey Wrench and Sherman's March. This is according to a book called "The Collector's Dictionary of Quilt Names and Patterns" by Yvonne M. Khin. I bought this book in the B.I. (before the Internet) days. So, as I was saying, I had just made this sample quilt square and started cutting out fabrics when this cold struck me down.
I had a lot of fun reading posts on the Blogger's Quilt Festival. It's fun to see what other quilters are doing. I'm sometimes amazed by the folks who seem to need a whole bunch of other quilters help in order to complete enough squares for a quilt. I guess I'm prejudiced. I remember starting my first quilt and muddling through. I didn't know enough to be intimidated, besides who else did I know in Brooklyn, New York (where I lived back then) in 1961 that knew how to make a quilt? So, what, I thought, I want to make one. I remember sitting in the park with my baby carriage and sewing a quilt block by hand. A lady asked me what I was making. "You can't make a quilt," she said, shaking her head, "you're making a quilt cover." I think she meant a duvet cover. Surprise lady!

3 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I love the churn dash block, especially liberated ones -- they have a lot of style. Cute name, too.

Twisted Quilts said...

I love reading your posts. I am also confused by these people that need so many others to complete their squares. I thought that was the fun of it!

Mrs A said...

Looks lovely, thanks for your lovely comment and i loved your quilt for sabrina, its beautiful!