Aug 12, 2008

Meander quilting hints

Here's some of my hints for meander quilting. My machine has a button that lowers the feed dogs. I have a darning foot for it. I set the machine to sew the smallest stitch--I don't know if that really works, but I think it does. I have those little rubber finger covers. I put the quilt edge under the needle, and press the needle-down button on the machine. I remove some of the safety pins from the pin basting. Hold the quilt under the needle as flat as you can. What I do is sew across the quilt towards me, in a kind of squiggly line, slowly moving the fabric, while pressing down on the foot pedal as if I'm going 100 miles an hour. I just make squiggles. And I'm not too fussy, either. Lately I've not been quilting as closely together as I used to, leaving an inch or two space between the quilting squiggles. I use a polyester batt, the thin kind. I haven't used a cotton batt in many years. Sometimes I try writing on the quilt, names, or "love" or something. It's fun for the recipients of the quilt to find their names written in the quilting.

5 comments:

jacquie said...

thanks Roz...every little bit helps me. i think i'm moving my hands too fast...machine too slow.

jovaliquilts said...

I've never done anything but stitch in the ditch on a large quilt, but maybe I need to get the courage to do it. Thanks for the tips!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the quilting tips. I love quilting words in the quilt, especially the name.

Helen said...

Hi Roz

Thanks for visiting my blog. You have your settings as no-reply so I couldn't reply to your comment directly. Quilting names is a great idea. Most people here in New Zealand use polyester batting. Cotton batting is very expensive over here, usually about 3 times the price of poly. I gather most people in the USA use cotton batting. How does it compare in price to poly?

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Dear Helen, I don't understand, I went to your blog, clicked on the comments, clicked on my teapot picture, and I got my blog. Cotton and poly batts are about the same prices here. Your blog is very interesting!