Mar 22, 2010

Pin basted

Some progress, I have pin-basted the quilt.  I want to hand quilt this, even though it is rather large (about 50 by 60 inches).  The reason is that Amish quilts are usually hand quilted.  Although I read an article recently that said that Amish women send their quilts out to be hand quilted by Hmong women who live nearby! So wow.  However, if my arthritis starts bothering me, I may end up doing some machine quilting--so, knock on wood for luck, or whatever.  It's been fun sewing this quilt so far.  I will be slow with the sewing this week, as I was sick last month and got behind in my housework, and it's Spring cleaning time.  Recently, I have littered my sewing room floor with little tiny snippets of cloth.  Did you ever watch Eleanor Burns on TV, she throws little bits of fabric over her shoulder while she sews?  I think that she might have sneaked in here while I wasn't looking.  I have a special magnet that I got at the hardware store.  It's on the end of a stick.  I use it to go over the floor by the sewing machine and pick up any pins before I bring in the vacuum cleaner.  Now, I've spent more time explaining that it would take me to clean, I guess.  As soon as I have taken enough pins out of this quilt, I still have to finish the tea cup quilt and pin baste it!

3 comments:

Joyce said...

The magnet on a stick is a great idea for pins. I hate bending over to pick them up...

Twisted Quilts said...

I love the idea of the magnet on a stick. I like to pin baste. Have you ever used the spray?

Unknown said...

So, are you also quilting this in black? I read that is what the Amish do. The Hmong are wonderful applique artists and do amazing quilting right along with the Amish.
the Amish don't advertise that the "cummunity" quilters are in fact Hmong.
Yes, my floor looks like it has ceramic bits and pieces on it too.
Eleanor must have someone who cleans up after her, I wish I did.