Jan 4, 2010

Free-pieced letters Wall Hanging

This is the free-pieced letters Wall Hanging that I've been making. It's a Biblical reference. But my daughter is objecting and telling me that I should have used the word "listen" instead. That's because more than just hearing is implied in the Biblical passage. She's correct, of course. It ought to be "listen and pay attention". However--this is free-pieced lettering--and the shorter the word, the better, in that case, as far as I'm concerned. Now-a-days people are so careful about being politically correct--so I want to say that I'm hoping that I'm not offending anyone. Anyhow, most of the wall hangings that I've done have some sort of religious connotation. Can't help that--it's part of my personality. I'm not out to convert anyone. Live and let live.
Now back to the quilting. I cut out the applique heart free-hand, slapped it in the middle without measuring, and I hand embroidered the edge in a blanket stitch. I'm hand quilting with a dark blue quilting thread. That's the bottom photo. One helpful hint: somewhere along the way I acquired a round-tipped scissors. It's so handy for cutting threads and removing basting without the danger of accidentally ripping your fabric.


8 comments:

Brenda said...

lovely: hear O Israel, the Lord your God is one God.... I'm with you on hear instead of listen.

Nat Palaskas said...

this alphabet block makes me what to get back to it again. I started one too! Hugs Nat

Twisted Quilts said...

I like hear too, you can listen without hearing. Hearing means opening our heart to the words of the Lord.

Tonya Ricucci said...

you're doing great and you get to pick the word you want to use!

Journeying said...

I LOVE this quilt!
Love the way you've done those oh-so-familiar verses.
I wish your kind of inspiration would strike me.

Magpie Sue said...

I'm with you on all counts. You have to hear the Lord with your heart, not your ears, and the word listen implies using only your ears. At the very least, maybe someone will be moved to go look up the scripture reference!

Laurel H. said...

LOVE this, Roz; it just takes my breath away. Beautiful.

Nancy said...

I have always wanted to do some free-form letters. I guess I just need to do it. Thanks for the inspiration.