Feb 22, 2011

Flannel scrap quilt

As Ronald Reagan used to say, shaking his head, "There you go again!" I haven't finished sewing the binding on the last quilt, but here I am, I guess it's nervous energy--making another baby quilt--I often use flannel for quilt backings. This will result in long strips being left over when the edges are trimmed. It was a simple matter to cut these strips with a rotary cutter, especially since no special width was required for this quilt. I merely cut the strips as wide as I could. I joined them together in a log cabin style, trimming the lengths of the strips after each one was joined. I used a wider than the usual 1/4 inch seam, nearly 1/2 inch. And the result was a baby-sized quilt top. I found a couple of left over pieces of batting to join together. I join batting scraps by butting the edges and quickly hand sewing with quilting thread. And I pawed through my stash and managed to find a nice bit of baby fabric for the backing. The result is that now I will have to figure out what I feel like making next! Not so fast--I do need to quilt this!

4 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

That's really cute, Roz! It's perfect for a baby -- soft, bright, whimsical.

beth said...

great job using up!!

Nancy said...

Wonderful use of scraps!

Sharon said...

You've sure been busy lately! This is a great little baby quilt - fun, bright colors and cuddly soft.

Keep going...you're on a roll!