Nov 25, 2007

"I"ve got a little list" Gilbert and Sullivan




It's time for me to take stock, and get some projects finished. I made some place mats with a couple of orphan blocks today. Some time ago, I made two place mats but I lost one. It's out there with those vanishing socks someplace. I think that I put it in the linen closet, but I haven't found it so far. I bought a skirt hanger for multiple skirts, and I put it in the hall closet to hang up my place mats so I won't lose them this time.


And besides that--I made myself a stole. It's crochet. I saw some lady wearing a grey stole at a wedding I attended a last February. And I wanted a grey stole. But of course, I wanted to make mine myself, not buy one at the department store. So I picked out a pattern and ordered yarn. The yarn arrived, and I made two mistakes--first I found that the sport yarn I ordered was so slippery and shreddy that it was impossible to crochet with it. So I picked out a knitting pattern from my files, figured out how many stitches it needed, and started knitting. But the yarn was so much trouble to work with, I had to watch every stitch in order to avoid splitting it. Finally, I just put the yarn in a bag and donated it to the library where the knitting and crochet club was making things for Warm Up America. I hunted through my patterns further and found a pattern for a crochet stole in sport weight and I ordered some Paton's Astra yarn. What an improvement. Now my stole is ready for the next cold draft. And on to the next project that has been on the back burner of my mind for ages. I've got a little list.

2 comments:

Libby said...

It's such fun to see stoles, shawls, scarves, capes and the like coming back into 'vogue' They really are so practical and fun to make *s*

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Love the placemats and what a great way to use up blocks