Sep 28, 2008

Dresden Plate quilt

I'm making this wonky Dresden plate quilt. I got the instructions from the book "Free & Eazy Circles" by Jan Mullen. I used muslin for the foundations for the circles. I have to quilt it now. I plan to free motion quilt. This quilt is smaller than what I usually make. I don't know why, but I decided that 12 blocks were enough. I really enjoyed hand-appliqueing the blocks to the foundations. I used any light solids I could find for the foundation squares. I have quite a large piece of the brown that I used for the sashes.
Next, I hope to make a donation quilt following the ideas in the beginning chapters of Gwen Marston's book "Liberated Quiltmaking." And I still have that table runner that I put aside several weeks ago. I'm doing some knitting lately, but I don't want to show pictures because they are a present, and the recipients have been know to glance at the blog from time to time.
A little bit of quilting-type excitement for me. After all these years of quilt making I discovered something called "utility quilting." I do vaguely recall seeing a quilt in an old book that was quilted with cross stitch, but the idea never registered. I got my hands on a book published in 1991 called--I'm not kidding--"Rotary Riot" by Judy Hopkins and Nancy J. Martin. And in the very back pages, it describes quilting by hand using cross stitch, fly stitch (the authors call it "crow footing") buttonhole stitch, Mennonite Tack, and Methodist Knot. These stitches are used instead of tying the quilt. And I do believe that the method looks neater and quicker that tying. The process involves taking one of these stitches on the quilt using a long needle, and then sliding the needle through the batt, to the next spot. The fly stitch is the one that appeals to me. It's a stitch any one who embroiders would know.

6 comments:

jacquie said...

i really love this roz...what a great way to use scraps too.

Clare said...

Not being a machine quilter, I'm always open to new ideas for hand quilting. Thanks.

Magpie Sue said...

I remember when that book came out, but I never got a copy. I've heard about using the fly stitch, but not sure about the others. How would you use buttonhole to tie a quilt? I'll have to think about that...

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Buttonhole tie for a quilt just looks like little "L" It's a row of little L's, separated by a few inches, that's all. A slightly different shape from the fly stitch.

Lynda said...

Wow! What vibrant colours! The different backgrounds to the Dresden Plates really add to the happy feel!

jovaliquilts said...

I really like the wonkiness -- those Dresden plates have lots of personality!