Jan 13, 2009

Sort of free-form House block

If the charge is starting a new project before the other ones are completed, I plead guilty. I'm about to be arrested by the quilt police again, I guess. But I had this idea. I love Gwen Marston's design of a liberated house square. But then, I was struggling with how to put those blocks together. So I decided to make a more tame version. I came up with the idea to square up the pieces. I'm not that accurate a piecer, but I make up for it with enthusiasm. Anyhow, here's the recipe for the quilt block:
6 1/2 inch squares of free-form piecing,
roof: 6 1/2 by 3 1/2 dark color
sides of roof: 3 1/2 inch squares of white. Mark the squares on the diagonal. Sew to sides of roof.
Sides: strips of white 2 1/2 inches wide (I sew to sides and then trim with rotary cutter to make the length)
Grass: 1 3/4 inch wide strip of green. Sew to bottom.
Square up the thing.
This block uses up all the little scraps of fabric any other person would have thrown away long ago. And I'm even using some old bits of muslin.

3 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

That's very creative! What a great idea. Those will work up into a wonderful quilt.

Clare said...

Lovely. If the Quilt Police coming knocking on your door tell them you have been liberated.

Joyce said...

Very cute. I love to see tiny scraps being used up!