May 7, 2009

Afghan and embroidered wall hanging




Thanks so much to all who wrote with get well wishes. I'm on the mend now, but I'll have to take it easy this weekend, for sure. I'm still putting ice packs on my back!


I've got two photos to post today. And each has a story. The granny square afghan is for a donation to SPINOC, an organization that helps the homeless, and tries to get them into homes. Two other ladies in my Nifty Knitters group made some of the squares. The yarn was all donated to us. I crocheted the squares together, and did the outer edge while I was flat on my back, nursing the sciatica. The doctor told me to rest by lying down, not sitting, and to put on ice packs for ten minutes at a time.


Now for the embroidered picture of Moses. Talk about orphan blocks and UFO's! I embroidered this picture about 25 years ago (not a misprint.) I also made one of Daniel in the Lion's Den and one of Elijah the Prophet--and those are still in the box with my orphan blocks. Anyhow, after 25 years, I decided that I wanted to make a little quilted wall hanging out of this picture. I had bought the embroidery transfer patterns and made those pictures ever so long ago. But I had only hemmed the edges so that they wouldn't ravel. Anyway today, May 7, 2009, I took out the picture, trimmed the edges and sewed on a border. I think that since I already took this long, I may as well spend some time and hand quilt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jovaliquilts said...

A finish after 25 years, congrats! I love the border fabric -- is that new? I might have to get some of that! And the afghan will be such a nice donation. Isn't it amazing how quickly something like that comes together when several people work on it?

YankeeQuilter said...

A couple of years ago a woman brought a quilt made of these biblical blocks to a quilt documentation day! So glad you finished your blocks.