Jun 6, 2009

Tribute to Modigliani

First of all, the star block that I posted the other day is on its way to being the center of a medallion quilt. Only one big square in the center, and then add on borders until it's big enough--whenever and wherever that takes me. I'm inspired by Gewn Marston's book "Ideas and Inspirations" which has some medallion quilts. Pardon me, Gwen, but I'm using some prints! Her book only uses solids and with great effect. She is a quilt artist. I don't make medallion quilts much, because I generally make quilts in sections, which I machine quilt before putting the whole quilt together. And medallion quilts don't lend themselves to that method. But, depending upon this quilt's final size, I will make the decision of quilting or tying later. One thing about making a medallion quilt--there are no squares to be joined together. Oh, that's not quite correct--I'm making some to sew into the border. But it's not quite the same as making a whole quilt out of equal sized squares.
Second of all, I'm posting a free-pieced quilt. It's tiny because I'm making it for http://alzquilts.org as a donation for research and care of Alzheimer's Disease patients. The largest quilt that they want is 9 by 12 inches. I was inspired by the books "Modigliani" by Douglas Hall and Gwen Marston's " Collaborative Quilting". Modigliani and Van Gogh are a couple of my favorite artists. Unfortunately, Modigliani died at a very young age from tuberculosis.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder what they will do with quilts so small. Your little block is cute...wonky and all.
I must start to write about the quilts I make and what inspires me.
I usually just "go for it" and end up with a quilt. Been lucky so far but can see disaster ahead if I'm not careful.

jovaliquilts said...

I love the orange center of that quilt! It is very jaunty and fun. And I don't think Gwen would mind a bit if you followed your own creative instincts and used a non-solid in your quilt.

Magpie Sue said...

Great minds think alike ;- )
I'm toying with the idea of making my DGD's big girl quilt medallion style instead of in blocks. The idea of making all those log cabin blocks I originally thought of isn't very appealing at the moment...