Jul 20, 2009

The Whole Truth

Here it is! the Whole Truth. I decided to adorn it with these folded fabric flowers and buttons. So that's the finished wall hanging. With fringes. It is 17 by 16 inches, not including the fringe. I added a hanging sleeve in the back--but I just hung it up on a pants hanger.

Now to make these folded fabric flowers I started by cutting out circles. Most of the circles were cut 3 1/4 inches in diameter, because my Homeowners Association sent me their financial report on this nice small size CD. I never read it, but I immediately recognized it as a perfect template for circles. In order to turn the circles into these hexagons, they are merely folded and pressed. I found a web site that gives directions for these flowers. And it is by Nancy Mahoney, an author of quilting books. I tacked the flowers on by sewing the centers a bit to hold the points in place. And then I sewed on a button. It's easier than appliqueing flowers and also it's three-dimensional.

http://www.nancymahoney.com/files/Play_Date_Flower_Pot_pattern.pdf
One of the pleasures of making the wall hanging was not planning ahead very much. I would just go to sleep every night and hope that I had an idea of how to proceed the next day. That helped me to solve problems of how to apply the backing, and so forth.



3 comments:

Sharon said...

Your "Truth" wallhanging looks great! I love the addition of the flowers. So happy-looking. And a very clever use of a CD!

Joyce said...

Very nice work. I like the way you just let it happen.

Tonya Ricucci said...

whee, fun. congrats on the finish.