Jun 17, 2010

Is it embroidery or?


Do you call this embroidery, or am I simply too lazy to remove the basting?  I've been making some larger-sized appliques by this method that I invented for a few years now but I never fessed up to it before.  First of all, for this particular (about 7 inch)applique shape, I saved the cardboard insert from a heart-shaped box of chocolates.  Those chocolates were a gift quite a few years ago. The candy is long gone, but the heart-shaped cardboard endures. I placed the cardboard on the right side of my fabric and traced around it with a piece of chalk.  Then I cut out the heart with a quite generous seam line--larger than for a regular applique--OK I better go and measure--alright, it's 1/2 inch seams.  Clip the seam where necessary. In order to prepare the applique for sewing, I used to baste this hem in place, press it, and then rip out the bastings.  So I said to myself, "Self, why am I ripping out perfectly good stitching?"  So now what I do is use embroidery thread when turning under the edges, and leave it there--presto, an embroidered applique!  I have now pressed it, pinned it in place, and it's all ready to be sewn down.

2 comments:

Laurel H. said...

Hey; works for me. :)

"Self, why am I ripping out perfectly good stitching?" LOL!

Deborah said...

I'd leave it in!