Aug 9, 2011

Art Quilt

Here's a picture of my Art Quilt. And I'm really proud of it. I machine quilted it with a meandering stitch, using a shiny rayon thread on the top, and ordinary black thread in the bobbin.
I hope to use this method of piecing to make another quilt soon, using printed fabric instead of all solid. I made the background a dark brown color. I rarely use much black in my quilts. Although I wear a lot of black clothing, I still have a funny feeling about black. I guess that goes all the way back to my childhood. My father had a superstition about children wearing black. He wouldn't permit it. I think that he thought it might be bad luck because black was a color of mourning. The other day I presented the quilt pictured below to a dear lady who is having chemo therapy. She said, "This is my lucky day." I certainly hope so. As you can see, the quilt is composed of free-pieced stars (that I learned how to make from Gwen Marston's books) along with some free-pieced log cabin blocks.



5 comments:

Debbie said...

The art quilt came out great, Roz!

Twisted Quilts said...

I love the art quilt. You make me want to start sewing. I know what you mean about black. I remember making my daughter a navy smocked dress when she was little. I could not bear to put her in black. I wear a lot of black now too.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Love your art quilt but your art for the heart quilt for the friend in chemo really got to me! You just gave her so much love in one quilt..it is a treasure!

Sharon said...

I love your art quilt! I hear you about black. I'm starting to wear black - now that my hair is grey it doesn't look so bad on me. And I think the manufacturers are coming out with some great browns lately. It would be fun to see another quilt like this done all in prints!

But your "chemo quilt" is wonderful! What a sweet generous thing to do. I made my Mom a chemo quilt when she had to go through that. I told her it was a hug from me, since I couldn't be there with her. I hope your friend thinks of it that way too. I think Gwen would like that you're using her patterns this way!

jovaliquilts said...

I turned my google reader off for awhile because I was behind in things, and am catching up again. When I was scrolling through your blog, I saw your art quilt. Love it! What a great layout -- such a fun change from the usual regular rows we do. And the stars/log cabin quilt, too. What an awesome post!