Nov 11, 2008

Utility-quilted liberated baby quilt




Here are the pictures of the completed quilt. I tried the utility quilting method. I used bedspread type crochet cotton for the stitches. I spread the quilt on the table and stitched it, using a darning needle. The backing is flannel, so the stitching was quite easy to do. As you can see in the photo, the method gives the quilt an embroidered appearance. And it looks puffy. The only change I would make is to use a regular weight batt, instead of the thin acrylic one I used. I think that regular weight batting would have given a more puffed effect. And I would recommend this method over the usual tying, especially for a baby quilt. So I've learned how to do something really old-fashioned, and a nearly forgotten method.

7 comments:

Libby said...

Really cute quilt! I love it...thanks for sharing your method, too.

Lazy Gal Tonya said...

the quilt looks really good!

jovaliquilts said...

I agree -- much better than tying for a baby quilt. looks great -- such a fun quilt!

Clare said...

Thanks to you I've been researching the Mennonite Tack and Methodist Knot. It took me a long time to find the stitches (no info at all on the net, but I've now got illustrations and instructions and intend to use them on the next Q4L.

ROZ said...

Clare--so sorry, I should have mentioned again the book that had these instructions, as it did include the Mennonite Tack and the Methodist knot--it's "Rotary Riot" by Judy Hopkins and Nancy J. Martin. And in the very back pages, it describes utility quilting, including these.

jacquie said...

it's darling roz...very gee's bendish. i'm going to have to look into this quilting method.

Magpie Sue said...

I love this little quilt :- )