Oct 5, 2009

Stained glass recycled denim quilt

I'm so happy that I completed this quilt. It's made from discarded blue jeans. There is an added border because my granddaughter wanted a big quilt. There's no batting in it, but it's lined with flannel. It's tied with crochet cotton that's the same color as the yellow joining strips. I picked yellow because that's the color that a lot of jeans are stitched with. The stained glass windowpane idea makes it possible to stitch the denim together without bulky seams. I'm so grateful to Alicia Wells of http://lucysquilts.blogspot.com/ for the instructions for the stained glass quilt. She has an area on http://www.flickr.com/ with some of these quilts, too. I bought a bunch of old jeans at garage sales, and it took no time at all to get a nice selection of jeans, especially when you don't care anything about the size or style. I had enough of the backing flannel left over to make a matching pillowcase. So it's another way to recycle. And I'm working hard on the next one, an even bigger size for my daughter.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks great! I love the itty bitty sashing for each block!

Frogdancer said...

What a great idea to use up old jeands. That's also make a good picnic rug too.

Anonymous said...

Roz,
The quilt is wonderful! it's the first time i see a jeans quilt that i really like. Thanks for sharing it!
Shulamit

LeeAnn Stebbins said...

Can you share the pattern?

Bethany said...

I saw this on flickr and loved it! I love the stain-glass look.

webmistress said...

Blue and yellow always go together so well - extremely well in this case!

Sharon said...

Oh, this is fabulous! Great color combo, and it is so interesting with all the different sizes and colors of blues. Woo hoo on the finish!

Rose Marie said...

A stunning quilt and great way to recycle!

Kris said...

I love this! It's so visually interesting but not overly complicated. It reminds me of tile mosaics. What a great effect with fabric!

Magpie Sue said...

Wow, awesome! And now you're going to do a BIGGER one?! Happily there's no shortage of old jeans to be recycled :- )

The DO said...

Love the sashing idea! That has to make it tons easier to handle, but I love that windowpane effect! It really sets off the colors of the jeans and ties in all the different dies. As I've waded through my kids kneeless jeans I've been thinking about making a jeans quilt... Haven't been able to get into it, but this is total inspiration.

Roslyn said...

I really like your denim quilt Roz, perhaps I will put that on my kist of ant to's!
Ros

jovaliquilts said...

I have been collecting old jeans for a few years now and think I have enough for a few quilts. I love this idea for one of them. Looks terrific, and so different from the typical jeans quilt.

Dawn said...

Oh darn, I love this and cant find the instructions. Where are they on her site?

Quotidian Life said...

I can't find them either--any help would be appreciated. I'd love to make this quilt. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Did anyone find the directions?