Oct 20, 2009

Still sewing after all these years

Here's the story--I've never made a king-sized quilt before. It's enormous! Anyhow, I'm getting to the outer edges, as this pattern begins in the middle sort of like a log cabin quilt block. It's a big quilt with a story. It's like this, my daughter has a medium size dog who is quite frisky. And the dog's inclined to jump up on their bed. Therefore, she wanted a quilt that could "stand up." And we guessed that denim would fit the bill. So I've been sewing and sewing ever since I finished the first denim quilt. By the way, that first quilt is on it's way to my granddaughter at the college--which is about 250 miles from here. They're planning to visit her, and are taking it with them. In this photo, I'm evening up the edges of part of the quilt, which I'm hoping to add on to the quilt today. Now, I have a hint for making an enormous quilt. That is, I didn't try to cut out all of the quilt pieces at once! I'd get a sore arm that way--I only cut out the parts as I go along. Bit by bit. And this is the sweater that I knitted for Kalista--my little grand niece. I got the pattern from the web--it's at http://www.redheart.com/FreePatterns/tabid/118/Default.aspx?tabid=118&patternid=LW1515.pdf



2 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

The sweater is adorable! Love your color choices.
A king size denim quilt must weigh a ton!

woolywoman said...

When they get under that quilt, they will be seriously tucked in!

I like the idea of only cutting out what you are doing, and also making the quilt in units like your picture shows.