Oct 13, 2009

Sunflowers wall hanging

I made this wall hanging first of all to illustrate what can be done with an old pair of cast-off jeans. The blue background is a pants leg! Because the jeans were still good, but a bit worn, I found that it was easy to sew on and to hand applique the flowers. And it proved to be simple to hand quilt, also. I was lucky enough to have a spool of navy blue hand-quilting thread handy. There was no picture or plan of the quilt made beforehand. I just had an idea in my head. But I must say that spontaneity requires forethought. I bought a couple of yellow fat quarters with this quilt in mind. After I made the flowers (see previous post for how I made them,) I just did a bit of "flower arrangement" to decide the placement. I think that old jeans would make good pot holders, baby bibs, and so forth. This is my contribution to recycling ideas. I've been doing recycling since the days when only ladies who wore long dresses and love beads cared about recycling and eating whole wheat bread!

3 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

"Spontaneity requires forethought" -- I love it! It's really true. Glad you were able to hand quilt through the jeans -- I would have thought it would be really hard.

Nat Palaskas said...

Roz you are so clever. I used jeans to make a purse for my DIL and she loves it. Hugs Natima

Magpie Sue said...

This turned out beautifully! What a cheerful piece of recycled goodness. I love the idea of jeans for potholders. I'd never thought of that!